lundi 9 avril 2012

The "Rain Man" syndrome

It's been a little more than a week since I've left hospital. In the last days I spent there I came to call my newest condition the "Rain Man" syndrome.

Well, it's quite simple: You take somebody and block that tiny little spot near the temple in your brain that controls language, articulation and swallowing (nothing major, just a little vein in there going rogue). You strain their vocal cords and withdraw sensation in tongue and throat "et voilà"!! You get yourself a nice, big and funny to boot "Rain Man" syndrome.

Of course, I'm being sarcastic... The doctors at the hospital made pretty funny faces when they realized I wasn't able to voice anything or articulate elaborate thinking. Even my eyes went kind of crisscrossing a little. Well it's kind of freaky, I must admit.

So I've taken to learn a few easy sings (Sign Language) to try to convey the basics to my family for whenever I need something. I also walk around with a note pad and a pen (plus my best friend: my crutch). Even when I go out. As it just pops out without warning...You never know.

But, yeah... I know, it just sucks. I make do, though.
I go on shopping, out with my friends and all that. Try to enjoy things, taking life as it comes, one day at a time.

The first time, I just couldn't realize what was going on, but once reality came crashing down, well, I was kind of scared. Then I was just frustrated. Then I just tried to calm down enough to think of ways to adapt, think of what triggered those symptoms and if they can be controlled.

I'm still in the thinking process, but I have pretty much accepted it. Not in a "there's no hope" kind of way, but more of a "let's get it over with" kind of way.

It's going to be a whole new ball game once I've got back to work. I just know how the kids might react if I go all "Rain Man" on them during class... Embarrassment would barely start to cover it. But well, crap!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire